Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Handmade gifts

I did a bunch of handmade gifts for Christmas this year. It just feels so nice to give someone something that you made.


The first gift I started (and finished) and the most complicated was a table runner for my mother-in-law, Bobbie. It wasn't too bad to make because I was already very familiar with the motifs. (I made many of them for wedding decorations.) I am really happy with how it came out and Adam's mom loved it!
Table runner

For my mom I made her a crocheted cowl and this craaaazy doily. I wanted to try out some of the yarn that my friend Morgan and I had dyed earlier this year and found a doily pattern that used sock yarn. I had no idea what the yarn was going to look like crocheted and it was crazy and SO BRIGHT.
Crazy in-your-face doily!
The pattern worked up really nicely, I think I'll definitely make some less crazy ones someday.

For my bro, Johnny, I found a cross stitch pattern of a typewriter and stitched it up. The pattern is by Tiny Modernist on Etsy.
typewriter cross stitch front
typewriter cross stitch back
I attached a piece of felt to the back and embroidered on it. Johnny has called me "squirt" since before I can even remember and still does today!

I made a few other things that I totally forgot to take pictures of - A Zippered Dopp Kit from a tutorial on the Purl Bee site for Adam's sister. It was my first time making anything like that and I'm very very glad that I made a practice one first! For Adam's bro, Paul, I made a handkerchief. And for our nieces, a couple super simple little clutches to hold some little xmas stocking type items.

All in all I'm really happy with what I made/gave for gifts. I definitely want to do it again next year but I'm going to make sure I start planning sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment